1. He is the image of God. If you want to see the invisible God, look into the eyes of Jesus.
2. Firstborn of all creation. This doesn’t mean He was the first created thing (look at number 3), but rather that He out ranks all creation and is preeminent over it.
3. He created all things. This includes all things visible and invisible. And yes, this includes you too.
4. All things are for Him. Creation’s goal and end is Jesus. All things exist for Him.
5. He is before all things. Eternally speaking.
6. He holds all things together. There is a cosmos, rather than chaos because Jesus is holding the universe (and your beating heart) together.
7. He is the head of the Church. This means he out ranks you and the Pope.
8. Firstborn from the dead. He began something new when He walked out of the tomb that first Easter. He is the firstborn from the dead with many to come after Him.
9. Preeminent. This pretty much sums up Jesus. He is number #1 to the extent that there really is no #2 beside Him.
So go ahead, put Jesus first in your life. There really isn’t another place He belongs.
“He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.”
Colossians 1:15-20 ESV